A variety of organizations do road infrastructure management. For all tiers of road networks, organizations also comprise local, municipal, and regional administrations. Urban networks, interstates, and other important highways, as well as toll roads, tunnels, and bridges, all have control centers. Each of these Capital Traffic Services are specifically devoted to handling the traffic management systems for these networks. While the importance of ITS apps and services will differ depending on the company, most will benefit from increased network efficiency. For instance:
- By maximizing the network’s use by road users via better trip planning. It can be done using real-time data and navigation systems.
- Through road traffic and other strategies that advance transportation policy objectives. Such objectives involve eco-driving and the effective and safe use of road space, like pace and access control.
- Real-time network status and condition monitoring quickly identify crises, accidents, and weather occurrences.
- Includes flexible demand management and toll charges that can be imposed. Not forgetting, all thanks to online payment technology.
- Via multi-modal payment and information systems that encourage inter-modal transfers and more seamlessly linked road transportation with other modes
- Finally, but certainly not least, by enhancing the security and effectiveness of their service and maintenance activities.
By doing so, the community’s needs for mobility and trade can be better satisfied. In addition, it will be less necessary to build new or enlarged roadway facilities. Wondering how and why? Here’s why.
Before moving forward, ITS (intelligent transportation system) is a platform, application, or technology that enhances the overall quality of transportation, or gains other outcomes depending on the apps that handle, manage or leverage transportation systems.
Traffic management is the collective term for a set of actions designed to maintain traffic flow while enhancing the road transportation network’s general security, safety, and dependability. These measurements use ITS systems, applications, and projects in daily operations that influence the operation of the road infrastructure.
ITS can increase traffic throughput while preserving or enhancing the level of service provided to road users. It is measured based on the number of vehicles, the number of people, or the number of goods transported in one unit of time.
Besides this, ITS can also help by giving users and operators high-performance real-time information. ITS can assist in managing infrastructure during extreme occurrences like severe storms and flooding.